An apicoectomy in Newmarket helps save teeth and prevent future dental complications through minor surgery. It is an effective way to treat chronic infections. This post will discuss why you might need it and what it entails to decide if it will be beneficial for your dental health.
Why consider it?
Your dentist performs this procedure when a root canal procedure is not enough to save the infected tooth. Here are some benefits of apicoectomy :
- It only removes a small portion of the root tip, preserving your dental tissue.
- Unlike root canal treatment, it does not affect dental fillings or crowns.
- It prevents tooth extraction.
What are the steps involved?
Depending on your tooth and tooth structure location, the surgery will take thirty to ninety minutes to complete. Your dentist will do the following steps:
- You will be given local anesthesia to numb the affected area.
- Then your dentist will create a slit on your gums to reach the root and remove the tip.
- To prevent infection in the future, they will clean the root canal and use a filling.
- To make sure that your tooth and jaw are in good condition, they will take an x-ray of your mouth and teeth.
- Finally, they will stitch the tissue for your gums to heal.
During your recovery period, your endodontist will provide you with the following aftercare instructions :
- Apply ice on the affected area for ten to twelve hours to reduce swelling.
- To relieve the pain, you may take prescribed pain killers.
- When you brush your teeth, you should avoid the surgical site.
- Until you have fully recovered, do not eat hard or crunchy foods.
You need to go back to your dentist after seven days for the removal of stitches. Swelling and soreness will subside after fourteen days.
According to studies, the apicoectomy success rate is high since it provides an excellent way to preserve the teeth and offer patients with long-term effects. If you are considering this treatment, the cost of apicoectomy will depend on the position of your tooth. To transform your smile and improve your oral health, contact your dentist in Newmarket today.